How to know God
Step 1 – GOD’S PURPOSE: Peace and Life
God loves you and wants you to experience peace and life—abundant and eternal.
The Bible says
- “We have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” Romans 5:1
- “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16
- “I have come that they may have life, and have it abundantly.” John 10:10
Why don’t most people have this peace and abundant life that God planned for us to have?
Step 2 – THE PROBLEM: Our Separation
God created us in His own image to have an abundant life. He did not make us as robots to automatically love and obey Him. God gave us a will and a freedom of choice. We chose to disobey God and go our own willful way. We still make this choice today. This results in separation from God.
The Bible says
- “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23
- “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23
Our Attempts to Reach God
People have tried in many ways to bridge this gap between themselves and God. The Bible says, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death” Proverbs 14:12. Isaiah 59:2 also says, “But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God; and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear.”
No bridge reaches God, except one.
Step 3 – GOD’s BRIDGE: The Cross
Jesus Christ died on the Cross and rose from the grave. He paid the penalty for our sin and bridged the gap between God and people.
The Bible says
- “For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ.” 1 Timothy 2:5
- “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God.” 1 Peter 3:18
- “But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
God has provided the only way. Each person must make a choice.
Step 4 – OUR RESPONSE: Receive Christ.
We must trust Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour and receive Him by personal invitation.
The Bible says
- “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20
- “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” John 1:12
- “Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9
Here is how you can receive Christ right now.
- Admit your need (I am a sinner).
- Be willing to turn from your sins (Repentance).
- Believe that Jesus Christ died for you on the Cross and rose from the grave.
- Through prayer, invite Jesus Christ to come in and control your life through the Holy Spirit. (Receive Him as Lord and Saviour.)
How to pray
Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. I believe that You died for my sins. I want to turn from my sins. I now invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as Lord and Saviour.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.
GOD’S ASSURANCE: His Word
If you prayed this prayer, the Bible says, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” Romans 10:13.
Did you sincerely ask Jesus Christ to come into your life? Where is He right now? What has He given you?
“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast” Ephesians 2:8,9.
Receiving Christ, we are born into God’s family through the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit who indwells every believer. This is called regeneration, or the new birth. This is just the beginning of a wonderful new life in Christ. To deepen this relationship you should:
- Read your Bible everyday to know Christ better.
- Talk to God in prayer every day.
- Tell others about Christ.
- Worship, fellowship, and serve with other Christians in a church where Christ is preached.
- As Christ’s representative in a needy world, demonstrate your new life by your love and concern for others.
- Attend one of our discipleship classes.